Friday, 25 March 2011

Fairy Exploding Box: The Tutorial

Hello fellow LOTV fans! A couple of weeks ago, I created an exploding box featuring the adorable 'Fairy Friends' on my blog. I first learned how to make these gorgeous boxes from Elaine's Magic Box blog. I was so amazed at these little treasures I had to try my own version using some of her techniques. 
The first one I made was ok, but I did learn some things along the way, and I think this one is a bit of an improvement!

For those of you who may not know what an exploding box is, the following picture shows it all folded up, just like a regular gift box.


It's simply decorated with pretty papers and a paper daisy on top, but when you pull the lid off...
TA-DAH!


A beautiful miniature magical world unfolds! I just love these to bits, I plan on making many of these for very special people in my life and special occasions. These do take a bit of time, but the result is well worth it, I promise you. Imagine the look on a little girl's face if she received this for her birthday. Or a big girl, lol. I know I would be!
Anyway, the instructions on how I created this box are pretty long, so I opted to make it a downloadable PDF. You can print it out, or view it on your computer.

Download Fairy Box tutorial.
Just click on 'File' in the top left of the page that opens up and select 'Download' to save a copy of the PDF to your computer. You can then view it in Adobe Reader and print it out.
The tutorial will be added to the Lili of the Valley web site soon as well.

I would love to see your exploding boxes if you try it, so be sure to leave a comment with your link!

Thanks for visiting, have a fairy wonderful day!

~Katarina

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodnes, this is so gorgeous. I just love, what you´ve done with this one here, and thank you soooo much for sharing the tutorial with us, so we can easily give it a try too.
    Your box is simply amazing and really beautiful.
    Have a wonderful week-end ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya sweetie
    this is such a cutie
    the image is super sweet
    i just love the flowers
    thank you for sharing hunni
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very nice. I love it.

    Gr. Ineke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    this is simply amazing such pretty colours used and so beautiful x
    hugs
    Suzie Qx

    ReplyDelete
  5. STUNNING!!! Absolutely gorgeous.
    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! I have only ever done an exploding box with photo's in... think I may have ago at one as a birthday card/gift!
    Hugs
    Kim
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, wow, wow, thank you so much for sharing the instructions with it. This is truly magnificent.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, this is fabulous! You are so right about seeing a little girl opening this! Thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing the instructions. Can't wait to try one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the instructions. I'm going to try it soon.

    Marie-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness me what a wonderful box of delights! The recipients must just be overjoyed to open one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that's crazy beautiful! thank for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW this is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty project. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is definitely one of the most beautiful things I've seen. Thanks for the directions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. To jest przepiekna praca . Wspaniale ją wykonałaś.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutley lovely. I would love to make some too for my grand daughters. Can they be posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can Michelle, the main box folds flat depending on what decoration you put in the centre and how robust it is but the lid doesn't so it would need to go in a box with some packing around it.
      Anne x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving us a comment, we love to read them all.
Let us know what you think of Lili of the Valley, our website, our blog, our products ...in fact anything really!